Valentine Someone Dreamed Up

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 3 February 1945, 10:15 P.M.
Dearest Eleanor,
          Just got back from the movies.  We had "The Thin Man Comes Home" with William Powell and Myrna Loy.  It was pretty good.  Last night's "Carolina Blues" was very poor but it did help pass a couple of hours what with shorts and such.
          Today was an unusually hot day with very little breeze to make it comfortable.  Did very little work this morning.  Was standing by for inspection.  However I made up for it this afternoon by seeing six patients.
          Was through with work around four.  Had a cold, refreshing "coke" and then retired to my room, stripped down to my "skivvies" and read a little from "Fountainhead."  Soon it was 5:15 P.M. and time to shower and dress for dinner.
          After eating I indulged in the usual routine of enjoying the cool evening breeze on the bridge deck, but not for long.  Soon it began to rain so I had to go below deck for shelter.
          I'm enclosing a valentine (?) someone dreamed up.  But the sentiment is way off the beam.  Do you think so?  Well anyway! Add it to your collection.
          The mail brought me just one letter, a note from my mother mailed the 26th.  Besides all the packages I'm expecting, I'm missing letters of the 21st, 22nd, 23rd and 24th.  I'll probably get them very soon now (I hope).
          Nothing new out here.  However the war news is most encouraging on both fronts.  It does look that there is a good chance of a sudden collapse in Germany.  As far as Japan is concerned, I wouldn't be surprised to see her surrender once the Philippines have been completely retaken.  Japan has much to gain by an early surrender and thus preserve her industry in Japan proper.  Then she can hope for a comeback and another try again in 25-50 years just as Germany did after the First World War.  However I do hope that this time we'll win the peace as well as the war and give neither Germany nor Japan the chance to become strong enough to wage war again.
          We've been at this place a lot longer now than I'd ever expected.  I do hope that we get out of here before the real hot weather sets in.  However no one tells me anything. We could leave tomorrow or six weeks from now and then again we could stay here until June or July.  Who knows?
          Oh well, everyday is that much closer to my homecoming and the end of the war.  One thing I'm pretty sure of now.  When I do get back to the states, I'll never have to leave you again.
          I'm all run out now Sweet, so I'll sign off with love and kisses to all my girls.  Good night and pleasant dreams.

Love,
Gil





2 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, I am enjoying you blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jean. I'm learning so much about my family, the war. In 1945 I turned six. My recollection of events and people is very different from my dad's. He had an adult perspective. The whole process is very pleasureful for me.

    ReplyDelete