Nine Fillings, Examined Eight Men


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 18 January 1945, 6:30 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Another day. Another dollar.  Began today with my usual morning routine.  Put in nine fillings, examined eight men and appointed them for work.

           Then mail call. Got a letter from Mike, a short note and the baby announcement from Bob.  Then there were a couple of Xmas cards from patients and some Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery literature.  Then I went up to my room and found the book "Fountainhead" you had sent and also the book Libby had sent.  By the way if you send me any more books be sure they are properly wrapped for mailing.  The binding was slightly warped, probably got wet.

          After lunch I read some until the afternoon mail came.  I got a letter from your mother and one from you written on the back of the Yearbook circular letter.  Yes dear, I'll enjoy the "Yearbook" a lot.

          There really isn't anything new to write about.  Three of the officers are still awaiting orders back to the states but so far no soap.  We are five officers over complemented so orders should come through most any day.

          Today has been unusually hot and now that the sun is down we'll all cool off a little.

          The movie tonight is a 4.0 picture, "Going My Way" with Bing Crosby.  I think I've seen it but I enjoy a good musical the second time just as much as the first showing.

          Darling do you remember when the Navy sent you a check for transportation for you and the kids from Santa Monica to San Diego?  Did they send you my original orders to report for active duty?  If you have it please send it on.  It should be in my personal file and I don't seem to have it.

          Well Sweet I'm just about run out.  Do you remember when you went to Philly and I wrote to you?  Am I putting more down in writing now than then or am I still keeping "under cover?"  Well, when I get home to hell with the cover.  I can hardly wait for those happy days.

          Good night Honey, I'm going to sign off now.  Love and kisses to you and ours.

Love,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment