Trench Mouth

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 27 January 1945, 7:15 PM
My Darling,
          This being Saturday, we didn't work all morning, standing by for Captain's Inspection.
          After lunch I read for awhile from "Tree Grows in Brooklyn" and at 1:30 PM went to my office for a little work.  Filled three teeth, qualified a man for sub duty, treated a case of pyorrhea and one of trench mouth.  I'm surprised at the small percentage of trench mouth aboard.  In San Diego a large percentage of the patients were afflicted.  Guess my hammering away at those that had it did a lot of good.
          I was talking to one of the Jewish boys aboard, a Sam Shapiro, and learned that he is a nephew of the "Sakalids" (spelling may be wrong) who live in the Paloma Apartments.  You must know the people.  As I recall, Mr. Sakalid is a very loud and coarse person.  Shapiro is a fine chap and is well liked by the officers and enlisted men.  He caught up with us in Pearl; he had been on leave and visited California.  In fact he seemed to recall meeting my mother, but wasn't quite sure.
          No mail today but after the load I got the last two days I wasn't looking for any.
          I enjoyed the Bob Hope "Princess and Pirate" move last night.  Tonight we have a stinkeroo (I think) entitled "Hi Beautiful" with Noah Berry. Jr. and Martha O'Driscoll.  Guess I'll go anyway.
          Sweet there is nothing more for today.  Do you remember those happy days when you and I went rumba dancing at the Miramar on Saturday nights?  We'll have to practice up on our steps together when I get back.
          Good night darling.  Love and kisses to all my three girls.
Love,
Gil

          

No comments:

Post a Comment