Still Receiving Xmas Cards in February

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 7 February 1945, 10:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          What a day!  Began this morning with work straight through until 11:30 AM.  Went up to my room, washed up and went to lunch.  After lunch--more work!  First thing I knew it was 4:00 PM and I was tired.  Under conditions like that a guy needs a drink so--I rustled up a boat, had very little difficulty finding a few thirsty souls.  We went ashore for a few hard ones (drinks to you).
          Got back to the ship at 7:30 PM high and happy.  We ate the supper that the steward had saved for us and went up to see the movie "Hollywood Canteen." I confused it with "Stage Door Canteen."  Anyway as soon as the picture started I knew it was a new picture and I did enjoy it.
          The mail brought me lots of stuff but nothing from my darling.  I got an Esquire, a dental periodical and six Xmas cards.  The way mail is coming through maybe I'll get those other packages real soon.
          Nothing new to talk about.  Scuttlebutt is varied and very unreliable.  Anyway the war is going great and maybe we'll all be coming home soon to stay.
          From the tone of this letter you'll probably conclude "Gil is tight." Well I am, so what!  Quite belligerent aren't I?
          Well Honey before we get into an argument (we never fight). I'll say good night.  Will do better tomorrow when I'm in better condition.
Love,

Gil ollywood Canteen" and I had if confused

No comments:

Post a Comment