Counted Over a Million Dollars of Paper Money

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 31 January 1945, 10:25 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Have been busy all day.  As a matter of fact I just finished working.  In spite of all my activity I didn't do a lick of dentistry all day.  Spent all morning and part of the afternoon closing the wardroom mess books.  Turned the monthly return over to my corpsman to type up.  I just rechecked and found several errors, so it'll have to be redone.
          Completed that jigsaw puzzle before dinner tonight so I'll break out another one.  I've spent about a 1-1/2 hours a day for the past three days so you can see that it is quite involved.
          After supper the doctor and I counted the paymasters money and certified the amount he was reporting on hand.  Handling more than a million dollars should give one some kind of a thrill but somehow it just seemed like so much paper.
          The movie tonight was "Brazil" with Virginia Bruce and Tito Guizar.  Although the movie wasn't rated highly I did enjoy the music and especially the samba routine of Velez and Yolanda.  By the way last night's movie "Together Again" was most enjoyable.  You should see it if you haven't.
          No mail today.  Never did find yesterday's misplaced  letter.  One of the officers saw the postmark which was Bonner Springs, Kansas.  Must have been from that Mrs. Dingey that I wrote you about.  Haven't had any mail since last week so I do hope I get some tomorrow.
          Nothing more that is new or exciting.  Do you remember when you and I were young and went to the dental school dance at the Elks Club?  Those days seem like a dream of long ago, but we did have fun then. When I get back we'll have wonderful times together, you and I and our two girls.
          I'm going to sign off now Sweet, good night, I'll see you in my dreams.

Love,
Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment