Thank God


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 19 January 1945, 6:30 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Hello Darling, here I am about to whisper a bunch of sweet nothings in your ear.  I didn't get any mail but I can still say I love you.

          Today was just another routine day though my dental duties will be fuller from now on (thank God).  I'd just as soon do dentistry as mess around with other travails.

          Put in ten fillings, extracted two teeth and examined fifteen men.  It was 11:30 by the time I was through so I had time to freshen up before lunch.

          This afternoon I worked for a couple of hours on my correspondence course.  Then I censored some mail, showered and by the time I dressed it was time to eat dinner.  My how the day goes by!

          The past few days, the news bulletins coming in have been most encouraging.  So much depends on how things go now that I can hardly wait for our daily newspaper.

          Sweet do you remember the first time you and I went to Catalina?  I was a dental student and you were my best gal.  Doesn't it seem years and years ago?  At that quite a few years have gone by since then but I don't feel any older and if I were home I'd prove it.

          No more for now dear so I'll sign off by saying good night Sweetheart.

Love,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment