Mustered at Quarters and Went to Work


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 16 January, 6:55 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Well here is your drunky hubby again.  I went ashore with a bunch of the boys and got back just in time for dinner.  Just finished eating and here I am again.

          Today began as all routine days do.  We mustered at quarters and then I went to work.  Saw a couple of patients and was through for the day.  Because of the scarcity of voluntary patients I'm beginning to call patients in who haven't had treatment since July 1, 1944.  I have a list of some 80 odd men and that should give me a little something to do.

          After lunch six of us officers went ashore for a few beers and got back to the ship at 5:15.  None of us were drunk, but neither were we sober--just feeling good.

          The movie tonight is "Wilson" a long picture--17 reels.  Should run about 2-1/2 hours.

          Today, I received one letter from you, written on the 24th of December.  There is no telling how mail will be received.  Everything in it is so old that I shan't comment of anything.

          Darling do you remember years ago when I came home one Saturday night feeling rather high and you blamed it all on Perry?  Well when I get home I'll be a good boy and really stick around.  It's a promise.

          No more for now so I'll sign off.  Good night Sweetheart, love and kisses from your one and only

Loving hubby,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment