Successful Landing on Luzon


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 12 January 1945, 7:15 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          We had a little something to break the monotony today but that is all I can tell you at present.  However as a result of the activity I didn't do any dentistry at all today.  As a matter of fact I didn't do a damn thing all day long.

          All is as usual now.  In about 25 minutes I'm going to the movies.  Tonight we have a stinkergoo, Laurel and Hardy in "Big Noise" but I'll go for lack of anything else to do.

          There was no mail today so there is nothing you and I can discuss together.  In fact because of today's routine there is nothing more for me to say.

          I see by our ship's newspaper that we made a successful landing on Luzon.  However no mention is made of our losses. I'm afraid when the final count is made our losses in ships and men may be high.  However that action was bound to be costly and as long as the goal was attained we should be glad.

          Well darling, are you back to a normal routine now that the holidays are past?  Have you gotten any more calls to teach?  I hope you did right in turning down half days.  After all half days would be easier for you even if the money wasn't all there.

          Honey do you remember the day at Arrowhead when I took you sailing and how scared you were?  Well, maybe this summer we'll try that again (could be!), I should know a little more about sailing or should I?

          I'm going to sign off now Sweet.  Good night and pleasant dreams.

Love,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment