Reading Fountainhead

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 5 February 1945, 7:10 PM
My Darling,
          Here I am once more.  Just the usual routine this morning.  Worked on patients until 11:15 AM and then I read a little from "Fountainhead."
          After lunch, except for an hour in my office, I spent the afternoon listening in on a court martial.  It was very interesting but I can't tell you anything about it.
          At 4:30 PM I went to my room, stripped down to my skivvies and read some more until 5:15 PM.  Then I censored a few letters, showered and dressed for dinner.
          After eating we stood up on the bridge and enjoyed the cool ocean breeze.  Thought for sure it would rain, but the clouds passed on with very few drops coming down.  We have "See You in St. Louis" tonight so I hope it doesn't rain during the movie.
          There was no mail for me today so I have nothing more to talk about.
          All kinds of talk as to how long we'll be here but none of it seems reliable.  Guess I'll just have to wait and see.
          By the way Sweet, have I told you I love you lately?  Well I do and I miss you too.  Poetic aren't I, but very corny too.
          Darling do you remember when you'd bring me my dinner and ride with me the summer I operated a tram on the ocean front?  That was ages ago and we were just two happy kids in love.  Well, we're not kids anymore but we're still that way about each other.
          I'm going to sign off now Honey.  Good night.  I'll see you in my dreams.
Love,
Gil


No comments:

Post a Comment