Today's Landing on Iwo Jima

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 19 February 1945, 7:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Just another day on the Ocelot.  Saw a few patients this morning and then the mail brought three letters.  Two were from you.  Another was the announcement about the Community Center Banquet at the Deauville with two short lines from Marty.  Some day I'm really going to tell that guy off.
          Both of your letters are of the 9th so there is still a break in the continuity.  I've even had a letter written later.  I got a kick out of the two snaps you enclosed.  I noticed that all three of you are showing off the gifts I sent you.  But Dave was the photographer.  Who else could take pictures underexposed and out of focus.  Oh well, better luck next time.
          I hope you aren't going to let Mary and her troubles bother you.  After all, they left you alone with yours for quite soon time after I left so the h--- with them
          I'm glad you're going ahead with vacation plans.  It'll all work out for the best.  Yes the war news continues to be good and today's landing on Iwo Jima was long looked forward to by us.  Maybe the Japs will give up a lot sooner than the experts think.  A few more sustained blastings of Tokyo may wake those yellow skinned monkeys up.  Anyway I'm sure that Japan will be hanging on the ropes and ready to throw in the towel within a very few months.
          I, too, am wondering what became of some of those packages you sent.  The only possibility is that they weren't securely wrapped and may have fallen apart in handling and the address lost.  Then again they may show up most any time.
          The movie tonight is a repeat, "Going My Way" with Bing Crosby.  For lack of anything else to do I'll see it again.  We've sure been seeing oldies lately.  I do hope we get some new ones soon.
          Nothing more for now Sweet, so I'll close with love, kisses and hugs for my three girls.
Missing you all,

Gil



Article from the Honolulu Star-Bulletin regarding the invasion of Iwo Jima. Commodore Carter, commander of Squadron 10, was the flag aboard the U.S.S. Ocelot.



No comments:

Post a Comment