Tell The Navy to Let You Come Home

 
Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday, 9 January 1945, 7:20 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Well the mail man broke down today and brought me a few letters.  I got two which you wrote on the 29th of December, a letter from Ethyl, one from your mother and two from patients.  One (a Mrs. Wirz) writes, "Tell the Navy to let you come home--I need you greatly--I never did like false teeth."  I'd like to come home too but for another reason.
          Evidently the kids are over their indispositions and I'm glad.  Guess the letter to Uncle Mike hit just at the right time.  I was inquiring if Bob could be congratulated yet and there was the baby awaiting my letter.  I'm glad your mother feels better too.  That makes a full house (of well people).
          I don't know if I have all my Xmas gifts yet.  There was nothing from you, Libby or your mother.  I know something is on the way.  However, if they get here for my birthday, I'll be even more pleased than if they got here for Xmas.
          As usual today began with work.  By 11:00 AM I had placed twelve fillings and examined three officers for promotion.  I had lunch and after that went ashore with a couple of officers.  Had a few beers and a whiskey and water.  But not enough to upset my sobriety.  At the Officers' Club I met that Dr. Arnerich I mentioned meeting once before.  We got back at 6:20 PM just in time to have dinner.
          The movie tonight is Gene Tierney in "Laura," supposedly a 4.0 picture.  I do hope so; the Abbott and Costello movie last night was disappointing.
          So I haven't told you I love you lately, eh? Well silly girl, I do and if repeating will make you happier, here goes.  I love you Eleanor, my Sweet.  I always have and always will.
          Guess you haven't changed any after all.  Do you remember how you always chided me for not telling you how much I loved you?  And you still are.  Well when I get back I'll convince you by various and devious methods.
          Until then darling, take it easy.  I'll see you in my dreams.
Love,
Gil
 
 
Gil at Officers' Club
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment