Got 200 Books From Another Ship

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 9 February 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Got four letters from you today and a couple of dental periodicals.  About Cousins, the Army is like that.  Promotions are sometimes rapid.  However in the Navy everybody short of God has to put in his time in a grade or rank before he can expect any advancement.
          About the Professional Bureau.  If and when they turn an account back to you and you turn it over to Posner, notify the Bureau what you have done.  After they turn it back to you they can't expect any collection commissions if you have, in the meantime, turned the account over to someone else.  Regarding the Ottis-Kelley account.  There are three cards, one for Mrs. Kelley, one for her daughter and one for her mother Mrs. Ottis.  Don't let them confuse you by claiming credit on one card when the credit is given on another.  If you get in a jam, phone Miss Earnest for a hand.
          After all these months I'm surprised at the long letter from Blanche.  It goes to show something, but I don't know what.
          So you are reading "Forever Amber" eh?  What a gal.
          The dinner party at the Beverly Hills Hotel sounded especially nice.  Wish I could have been there for a couple of rumbas and sambas with you.
          You're right Honey.  Dave hit it right on the head this time.  But then a guy can't be wrong all the time.  He's bound to be right once in awhile.
          Yes dear, I'll try out that technique you mention first chance I get and I know you can do it.
          Now back to me.  Today began as usual with work and more work.  I knocked off at 11:15 AM and read Esquire until chow time.  This being field day, I "crapped out" while my corpsman worked all afternoon.  One of the ships had 200 books they wanted to get rid of so I took them off their hands.  Nice of me wasn't it.  The books aren't new but there is still plenty of good reading in them.  They are mostly mystery and detective stories.  I think they'll be quite popular.
          The movie tonight is "Music Over Manhattan" with Ann Savage but only rates 3.  However I don't believe I'll miss it.  Not me.
          Well Sweet, this thirty for tonight.  Good night and pleasant dreams.  I love you, I love you, I love you.  (note the repetition for emphasis).  When I get back I'll show you how much.
Impatiently,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment