No Movie Because Amplifier Burned Out

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 1 February 1945, 9:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
          Hello darling, this has been a "bitch" of a day, but all is well that ends well.  I began this day with my regular appointments and was busy all morning.  After lunch I continued my regular work routine.  At 2:00 PM I began to examine some fifteen odd men who hadn't reported in for examinations when they were supposed to.
          After that I went to work on the wardroom statement.  First I was $40 short, then I was $65 ahead.  At 4:00 PM I gave up in disgust still some $60 ahead.  As I came on deck I ran into a few officers on their way ashore for a few drinks, so I grabbed my cap and became one of the party.
          We went ashore and spent the most pleasant couple of hours since we have been at this place and then we returned to the ship.
          The stewards fixed us a late snack and we even had some ice cream for dessert.  Someone brought it aboard to eat after the movies and we just got into it.
          By then it was movie time so we went up on deck.  But the amplifier had burned out. After waiting an hour it began to rain so we gave the whole thing up.
          Got one letter from you postmarked the 21st.  It is the one with Anne C's letter.  Sounds like she'll be glad when she gets back to Santa Monica.
          Now to your letter. "Meet Me in St. Louis" sounds OK. I hope we get it soon.  Hope you get to the Victory Ball though I'll bet you don't get in, in spite of Dave's uniform.
          Looks like the old feud of Marty versus Ben and Jerry goes merrily on.  I bet Marty wins.
          I'll look for "Immortal Wife" but I haven't heard anyone comment on that book.
          Mary and Willie will go right on.  Mary knew what the score was long ago.  No matter what she says now, she'll just have to make the best of a bad bargain.
          As you probably gathered by now, I'm a little high but really I don't care.  I feel much better than I did at 4:00 PM.
          Sweetheart, do you remember when for lack of anything better to do Saturday nights we'd get together with another couple and go to the Band Box for a sandwich and the "naughty" entertainment of Pete and Billy Snyder et al? Do Abbott and Costello still run that joint or did they give that up as a bad venture? Do you ever see the Posners?  Just wondering?
          Well darling I really should close and turn in.  Good night Honey with loads of love,
Your lonely,
Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment