Read "Forever Amber"


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 23 January 1945, 10:10 PM


Dearest Darling,

          Just got back from the movies.  We had a double feature, "Mark of the Whistler" with Richard Dix and "Reckless Age" with Gloria Jean.  Both were good and I'd seen neither of them before.

          Today was just another day.  I examined ten men this morning and then worked on patients until 11:30 AM.  Had luncheon and then read some more of "Forever Amber" by Winsor.  If you haven't already done so, read it.  Although she is quite mercenary,  we could sure use that gal out here.

          Kept busy most of the afternoon but God knows what I did.  I know I sent off a couple of messages to nearby ships relative to dental appointments, looked up some data in the Manual of the Bureau of Medicine, and censored some mail.  But still where the whole afternoon went I don't know.

          Anyhoo! I showered and read some more from 4:30 to 5:30 PM when I dressed for dinner.  After chow we stood around on deck and enjoyed a refreshing, cool breeze until sundown.  Read some more professional literature in my office until movie time and two hours later here I am.   

          No mail, nothing today.  Maybe tomorrow.  I hope! Is my mail coming more regularly now?  I do hope so.

          Sweet do you remember the time we drove to San Francisco for Libby's wedding and came home all in one weekend?  Gosh was I sleepy and tired.  No good for anything.  Oh well when I get back our trips will be short with plenty of time in between (take it anyway you like).

          That is all for now Honey.  Good night and pleasant dreams.


Your impatient lover,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment