No Cat Fever, No Seasickness, No Loving


Monday, 21 August 1944

 

Hello Sweetheart,

          How is my Darling today?  When mail came today I hit the jackpot. Twelve letters, one from Deb, one from Mother and ten from my Sweet.  That with the three I got last night just about makes up for all the days I've missed.

          Listen honey, you don't have to worry about me.  No cat fever, no seasickness, and yes, no loving.  But we'll make up for the last later.  Don't worry so much about money.  Just don't spend it on nonsense.  What you need however buy.  We'll get along.  As for the lot in Brentwood, I'd forget it unless it is dirt cheap, which it probably is not.  Remember such things as taxes, assessments for improvements, etc.  You say Harry has something big on and you want to invest some money.  We probably could spare a couple of thousand dollars but I'd rather put the money into something that we could turn into cash fast if it became necessary.  However, write me more about it and we'll see.

          I'm glad to hear that Linda and Norma want hula skirts for hula skirts they shall have.  I've been looking, but the type of pin you want still is marked by its absence wherever I've looked.  I'll surprise you with something you'll like though.  Wait and see.

          Honey, I would have phoned but as I explained in yesterday's letter it was impossible.  Sweetheart you know how effusive I am (not).  I do love you and miss you.  More than you can imagine even with the companionship of the men aboard.  Companionship which you seem to miss must be gone after.  I'm sure when you get into our house next month you'll find it will be easier to do the things you'd like.  Please honey, don't get discouraged.  People are not interested in the troubles of others.  Until school starts and even afterwards, if you are not too occupied, get back into organization work.  You liked it once, even with the ulterior motive behind it, and you'll enjoy it again. Get out and meet people and they'll remember you.  Stay home with your pride and hurts and you'll stay home all the time.  (This is a lecture--take it to heart).

          Enjoyed those pictures of the kids and yourself but I bet I get a better one of you soon.  I'll send you one of myself as soon as possible.

          To Linda: Daddy enjoyed your note.  You bet you'll take piano lessons when I get back.  I'll sit and listen and enjoy your music.  I miss you too honey, just as I miss Mommy and Norma. And when I come home we are all going to have lots of fun together.  Be a good girl and help mommy with her work and help her take care of your baby sister too.

          Eleanor dear, I wish I could remember about the $10 you mention.  I gave you some money but I had so much on my mind that I paid very little attention to how much you had.  Use your judgment, though I am sure that Rabbi Lifschitz is not in error.

          It's getting late and I must turn in.  Good night darling and pleasant dreams.  I am with you always.

Love,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment