Old Salt


 
UNITED STATES NAVY
 
Saturday 5 August 1944, 10:00 PM



Dearest,


          Now I'm an old salt.  Spent a quiet day.  Saw a few dental patients and went through a routine "general quarters" and "abandon ship" drill.

          It has been overcast and cool all day but rather smooth.  Just now we have quite a roll and a pitch, just the thing to rock me to sleep.

          Here is the menu for today.  I must really begin to watch my waist line.  Breakfast was French toast and coffee.  Lunch started with soup, then stuffed bell pepper and string beans with coffee and cake for dessert.  For dinner we had salad, steak, cobbler and coffee.

          After dinner we adjourned to the ward room and I got talked into a poker game.  You know how much I love cards but anything to be sociable.  After three hours I lost the magnificent total of $1.05.  This ocean air is quite conducive to sleep so I decided to turn in early.  I'm really glad I wasn't ahead and could quit when I did.

          How are you and the kids?  Keeping your chin up?  I have the pictures of my girls here on my desk before me and I hope that when we reach our destination I'll find one of my Sweet to add to my collection.

Goodnight my Sweet till tomorrow

Your loving husband

Gil

Lt (j.g.) G. Steingart



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment