Pearl Harbor, Hawaii


Tuesday August 15, 5:00 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          I was hoping to go on liberty tonight and see the sights.  It's five o'clock but no word about any liberty tonight.  They tell me the bars here close at 6:00 PM and there is a 10:00 PM curfew.  It may be scuttlebutt, but I'll know by tomorrow.

          This place really reminds me of Catalina.  After my first liberty I'll be able to tell you more about it.  The color of the sea certainly is interesting here.  It goes from a deep blue to green to light green to a white which in the distance looks like beach sand.

          The day is warm but there is a cool breeze that has been blowing constantly.

          Yesterday I had to rewrite several letters because of some insignificant items and I hardly know what to say that would be of interest and would pass the censor.  However they can't stop me from loving you and missing you or even writing about it.

          Some mail was brought aboard but so far none has been distributed.  Guess they are sorting it.

          Well Sweets guess I'll sign off with love to you, Linda, Norma, and the rest of the gang.

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment