Reported to U.S. Naval Repair Base in San Diego






                         
Monday 17 January 1944
1830 o'clock (6:30 P.M.)

Dear Eleanor,

          Just got through unpacking and hanging up my kit.  This sure is a busy place but they tell me things are quiet now, so I've got something to look forward to.

          The officer who took me around is a commander who just today received a promotion to captain.  I believe he is leaving for the Great Lakes Naval Station in a month.  Tomorrow he will take me around to meet the bosses and arrange for my pay and transportation.

          There are two men in the dental department who went to school with me and the rest of them are so friendly that I should feel at home right smart quick.  From what I was able to see today, the type of dentistry done here is of a very high level.  All the talk you hear about dentistry in the service is untrue.  Should you want to reach me after hours, I am at the B.O.Q.-- J room 4.  The phone number is Main 7212.  My work hours are 7:45 to 12:00 and 1:00 to 5:00.  Send all mail addressed: Lt. (j.g.) G. Steingart DC-USNR, U.S. Naval Repair Base, San Diego 36, California.

          Noontime today I was aboard an airplane carrier.  Lunch was 35 cents for meatloaf, potatoes, coffee and a whipped jello.  Dinner was 45 cents. I had oyster stew, rare roast beef, potatoes, peas, coffee and cream pie.  I am not eating any bread, potatoes or butter--must watch my waist line.

          Everything at the base is very informal.  You only salute officers with the rank of commander or higher.  Either the blue or grey uniform may be worn, so in a pinch I could wear by dress blue.  I'll also wear my blue on Mondays if I come in just in time to go to work.

          Will write again tomorrow.  Love and kisses to you, Linda Norma.  As ever

  Your loving husband,
Gil




No comments:

Post a Comment