105 Degrees In The Shade


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
          U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
             Friday 24 November 1944, 9:20 PM

My Dearest,

          Here it is Friday, a whole week has passed and still no mail.  However I know that it isn't because you haven't written.  You see no one else has received any either.  All I can say of the mail service out here is that it is lousy.

          The movie last night was "Star Spangled Rhythm" with Eddie Bracken, Betty Hutton and the best of Paramount Stars.  We saw it years ago together and now I've seen it alone.  Tonight we had another oldie "Road to Morocco" with Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour.

          Today was just another day.  The thermometer registered from 97-105 degrees in the shade.  I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't read the temperature myself.  This morning I turned out nine fillings, two extractions and a gum treatment.  After lunch I took a boat over to another ship and arranged with the chaplain aboard to conduct services on the Ocelot Sunday.  He is Catholic and promised to bring along a Protestant chaplain as well.  I do hope it works out.

          Outside of that there is nothing new or exacting.--just the same everyday routine.  Gee, next week is your birthday and here we are thousands of miles apart.  Well, this will be the as well as the first that we'll be apart.

          How are my girls doing?  Do they still talk about their daddy?  By the time I get back I'll be a total stranger to Norma and almost that to Linda.  Yet she remembered Leon when she was much younger and that is a happy thought.

          Talking about Leon, he never did answer my letter and so help me. I'm really going to tell him off when that opportunity presents.

          Have you been doing any more teaching?  Are you still going out for an evening?  There are so many things I want to know and I'm sure when that stack of mail does arrive all my questions will be answered.

          Darling, do you remember those happy sessions on the studio couch in the Admiral Apartments?  Well, after the war, I've got some new ideas we'll have to try out.  You see I have plenty of time now to think about all the wonderful times we had together and also to plan all the things we'll do in the future.

          Good night my Sweet.  I'm going to close with loving thoughts of days gone by.  I love you so!

Your devoted husband,

Gil

 

No comments:

Post a Comment