Crossed the Date Line


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
          U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
             Monday 30 October 1944, 10:30 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Here I am again.  The daily routine remains unchanged.  Up at seven and finished with breakfast by eight.  Down to my office at 8:30 and from then until 11:00 I move right along.  At 11:30 lunch and then a little "sack duty" (a nap or reading period in my bunk).  Back to my office at 1:30 until--? And then the rest of the day to read and take it easy.

          This Navy life is really making a loafer out of me.  Doubt whether I'll ever be able to turn out a decent day's work.       

          Sweet, I hope you won't be angry but until I find something to write about my letters may skip a day.  Please understand darling that there is nothing to tell.

          Do you remember many years ago the party at Barney Shapiro's house where we met and I took you home?  Ambie and I were sitting out on deck and reminiscing and I told him about that great event in my life.  Gosh but I'd like to go to a party tomorrow night, meet you and take you home.  Only I wouldn't kiss you good night at the door, no sir!  After the war you and I will take up where we left off on parties.  I'll take you and bring you back home.

          Well, Sweet that's all for tonight.  With all my love all wrapped up for you and waiting for the day when I come home.

Loving you as ever

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment