Just Routine


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday, 28 December 1944, 7:00 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Well darling here I am again.  Nothing much to talk about.  Just routine matters to take care of.

          Worked all morning and then read a couple of stories in the "Post."  After lunch I visited with a Jewish ensign who is waiting for his ship and living aboard temporarily.  Then I finished a little something I've been making for Linda.  I am going to make one for Norma and one for you to match.  Won't tell, I want it to be a surprise.

          Just before dinner I visited with the skipper and discussed additional recreation for the ship's company.  Then I showered and changed.  After dinner I talked with a few of the officers attached to the flag.  Don't set your heart on it but there is a good chance of us heading home in about three months.  It's all scuttlebutt, but usually this source is reliable

          The movie tonight is "Ah, What a Night," with Eddie Low and Jean Park.  Also there is one reel of Community Singing, a cartoon, a newsreel, a travelogue, and a reel on fishing.  Quite a complete show, eh?

          There was no mail again today and I'm really looking forward to my mail now.  Just not hearing for five days seems like I haven't heard in five years.

          Darling, do you remember when you were in Philly and how I never would put down in black and white just how I felt?  Am I a changed correspondent now?  Or don't you still know?  Well darling for any little doubts that you may have just wait until I return.  My how they will vanish.

          Good night Sweetheart, I love you with all my heart and --- (?)

Love,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment