Paint Is Cheap and Labor Plentiful


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
          U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
           Saturday 18 November 1944, 9:15 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Hello darling, here I am again.  Just saw a movie I saw several years ago but I enjoyed every moment of it.  The picture was the "Black Swan" with Tyrone Power, a story of Henry Morgan and the Spanish Main.

          I'm catching up on my mail now.  Last night I dropped notes to Manny Stern and the Fleischers.  I don't know who'll be on the program for tonight until I look at whose letters are lying around.  You see I don't throw any away until they're answered.

          I didn't do any dentistry today because my office is being painted.  That's one thing about the Navy.  Paint is cheap and labor plentiful so as soon as any place looks the least bit bad it gets a fresh coat of paint.

          What did I do with all the time?  First I took those large photos of you, covered them with blue celluloid and hung them on the bulkhead in my room.  Then I took that booklet of pin-ups you sent me recently, cut those out and stuck them up too.  Believe these pictures along with Linda's, Norma's, Dick's and Babs' brighten up my room considerably.  Then I did a little reading, took a shower and won another buck at blackjack.  After dinner I played some checkers and then to the movie.  My what a busy day!

          Well I expect to be much busier next week.  I'm going to work on the crew of a ship anchored nearby.  These men plus those on the Ocelot will keep me busy for awhile.

          There was no mail for me today, so no answers.  Good night my Sweet, I love you and wish you were near.  Boy, would I like that and you would too!

Lovingly

Gil

Picture of Dick


No comments:

Post a Comment