We Said Goodbye Four Months Ago. It Seems Like Four Years.


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
           U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O San Francisco
           Thursday 16 November 1944, 9:30 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          After writing last night I went to the movie and saw a very unusual picture, "Someone to Remember."  You must see it if you haven't already.  After the movie I turned in and read until ten and then lights out.

          Worked this morning as usual.  After lunch I went on liberty for the first time in about a week.  What did I do?  I drank a few beers and just wandered along the shore looking for unusual colored shells and pieces of coral.  I brought back a pocket full.  Maybe I'll have a collection by the time I return.  There are many coconut trees here and the nuts are lying just everywhere.  So I picked up one and cracked the shell and drank some of the milk and ate some of the nut meat.  Some of the coconuts have been lying around so long that they have sprouted roots and green shoots are growing out of the nut itself.  Wish I could tell you more about this place, but so much for now.

          Got back tired, hot, and sticky so I took a shower and read for half an hour before dinner.  After eating I got into a small blackjack game and after a whole hour I won about fifty cents.  There must be an easier way to make money.

          Tonight we had another good movie, "His Butler's Sister."  I believe we both missed it and it really is worth seeing.

          And that's the way it is.  Somehow the days go by.  It is almost four months since we said goodbye but it seems like four years.  How I would love to spend an evening with my Sweet and our two little darlings.  Oh well, maybe it won't be so very long when we'll have more than an evening together.

          Well Honey, there is no more for now.  Do you remember how I used to write you when you spent the month at Catalina?  And in between letters how I wanted to telephone but you didn't have a phone.  Now you do have a phone but still I can't call.  Just wait until I get one I can use!  After this war I'll keep the wires hot every time we get separated for even a few hours.

          Good night dear and pleasant dreams.

Lovingly

Gil

 

No comments:

Post a Comment