300 Cases of Beer--$1.50 per Case


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
          U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
           Wednesday 6 December 1944, 7:00 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Hello darling, how is my Sweet today?  Now that we are having showing movies nightly I'll write before I go and take in the second show.

          This morning, right after breakfast, I took a boat over to one of the supply barges in the harbor and arranged a purchase of 300 cases of beer at $1.50 per case.  The beer is for ship's company when they go ashore on liberty.  That way we save 50 cents a case and can give the men as much as we want to.  Otherwise we are limited to 3 cans per man.

          When I got back I went to work and kept busy in my office until 11:20.  Then I visited for a few minutes with the skipper before eating lunch.

          After eating I read some of "Prodigal Women" and censored some mail.  At 2:00 PM I went back to my office as I had a couple of appointments.  Then I straightened out the locker where I keep all the games and passed out a few to the crew.  Then I showered and relax with my book until dinner and here I am.

          Today I got three more letters and that cute card from you . It seems that ten days is about as fast as I can expect mail from you although once or twice I got some in eight.

          Dave is correct about APAs. They carry troops and enough cargo for the initial attack.  However why worry anymore about that?  The Ocelot is definitely not a combat ship nor is it to be used in any invasions.

          We have a ship's newspaper and all news is received by radio over a special broadcast.  So I'm keeping up with football as well as the new.  We pick up a US station from the Philippines and "Tokyo Rose" very often

          Your day at the races sounds very interesting.  Take it easy and don't lose you "shirt."

          Dear I am writing every day.  You know about the couple of times I missed, and I promised not to do that again and I haven't.  Be patient, some of those batches of letters covered a span of seven to eight days.

          Don't worry about my "whoozis."  It's in fine shape and getting plenty of rest for the big event of 1945.  Such dreams--tsk, tsk, tsk.

          Sounds like you are a little friendlier with Mary.  I know that'll make things easier.

          About the accounts:  They should all be good, though slow.  Keep plugging.  25% is as good in our bank as in Clark's or Selder's.

          The movie tonight is "Are Husbands Necessary" and I won't ask you the answer.  Will tell you about it tomorrow.

          Dear, do you remember the surprise you got every time I got a big case?  We'll go through that routine all over again after the war.

          Well sweetheart, I am managing a little more than my usual short note and I'm enjoying writing as much as you enjoy reading it.  Good night my Sweet, till tomorrow

Love,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment