Aboard Ship Sunday Is Just Another Day


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
           U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O San Francisco
             Saturday 7 October 1944, 9:30 PM

My darling,

          Just saw the movie aboard and here I am again.  The picture "Do It Big" was just fair entertainment.  Jack Haley, Harriet Hilliard and Ozzie Nelson were the stars.  Now for a little visit.

          Nothing much since my last writing.  Saw three patients this afternoon and when I finished I played a few games of checkers.  It was pretty warm today and I felt much better after my daily shower and change of apparel.

          Sweet I'm going to make something for you and the kids.  Please send me the waist measurements of each of you.  It will take time to make but it should be done for Xmas.  Don't ask what "it" is going to be.  Be patient now and be surprised later (I hope).

          How did your new maid pan out?  I hope she showed up and works out OK.  I meant to mention it in this morning's letter but forgot.  The music you sent sure made good time. It was postmarked the 30th of September and arrived here on the 6th.  That is almost as fast as airmail.  Must have come over on a pretty fast ship.

          I should be receiving scads of mail soon.  I've written Taylor, Gilman, Bergman, Vanetek, Deb and Dave, Ruth, Libby, Earnest, Nina, Aranoff, Harry S., Davis and my cousin in Bell Harbor.  We'll write Marty, Sam, Bill and Dave Katz soon.  I've written several more that I can't recall just now but I'm doing a fair job.

          Al and I have a tentative date for tomorrow.  After our visit I'll finish this note.  Until then take it easy, Sweet.  Now I'm going to bed and dream about you and I after the war.

Lovingly
                      Gil


Sunday 8 October 1944, 9:30 AM

Good morning Sweetheart,

          This being Sunday, call for breakfast was 7:30 instead of 7:00.  Otherwise, at sea or I should say, aboard a ship, Sunday is just another day.

          This morning our welfare account was audited and then a book was set up for me to keep.  I'm finding plenty to keep me busy outside of my dental office.  I am mess treasurer now and have to collect the mess bill from each officer at the beginning of the month.  Then I have to pay for all food and supplies we draw from the general mess and that is purchased from other sources.  Then I'm still trying to get more books for our library without paying for them and that requires a lot of running around.  By the time I get home I'll be a real chiseler and you know how I hate to ask for anything for nothing.

          Well honey, this is Sunday, the day we spent together.  Boy wouldn't I like to get into the car and drive you and the kids down the beach for a stroll.  Then take Linda and Norma to the merry-go-round.  Do you remember how scared Linda was the first time I took her on?  Now she rides like it is an everyday occurrence.  After the war I won't be so anxious to dash off and leave our girls at home.

          Bye Sweet, I've got some more things to do.  Will write again tonight.  I know you are giving my regards to all so I don't have to ask you to do it.

Lovingly

Gil

 

No comments:

Post a Comment