Accepted Navy Pastime Is "Bitching":


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday, 3 January 1945, 7:05 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Still no mail.  It's a good thing no one else is getting any or I'd be plenty worried.  As it is, we all indulge in the accepted Navy pastime "bitching" about the mail.

          Worked this morning until 11:15 AM. Then I meandered around the ship attending to various items of no particular interest.  Had lunch and worked for an hour outlining a simplified statement for the wardroom mess.  Than I had it mimeographed, so that's out of the way now.

          In mid-afternoon I returned to my room and censored mail for about 45 minutes.  Then I undressed, showered and relaxed in my rack and read from "Get Thee Behind Me."  Before I knew it was 5:45 PM so I dressed for dinner.

          After eating we stood up on the bridge and enjoyed a brisk, cool breeze blowing in from the east.  We talked about everything and really said nothing.  There is nothing new that I can tell you but we are all hoping for some big news that should break in about three days.  However you'll probably read about it just as soon as we hear out here.

          Well Sweetheart, are you doing any more teaching?  Do you remember when we first got married, you taught and brought sandwiches up to the office for our lunch?  After this war we'll enjoy many a luncheon together but I believe we'd both enjoy being waited on in some nice restaurant.

          That's all for now darling, give my girls a big kiss for me.

Devotedly,

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment