Removed Another Difficult Impaction


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 29 December 1944, 7:25 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Finally got some mail today.  A letter from your mother, a card from Miss Earnest and four letters from you.  Your letters were postmarked--two on the 13th, one on the 19th and one the 20th.  I've already received mail from you for the 14th, 15th and 16th, so I'm expecting more mail for the blank period tomorrow.

          You mention the B'nai B'rith election being a surprise but give no issues.  How about a list of the new officers!

          I don't remember what the fur jacket cost, but it was around $55.  Looks like you made a good deal-if you collect.  That should be easy as long as she stays.

          Don't send any long socks.  If you can't find any short ones, I'll get by on what I have plus a few cotton ones that I'll buy.

          About the gardener--if the Jap will work more reasonably, I'd rehire him.  After all he was nice and efficient and probably after the war all gardeners will be Japanese again.  We might as well get back on the ground floor so to speak.

          If you didn't get the corsage on Xmas let me know and I'll trace down the money.  I'm glad the dolls were so nice.  Linda's cost $6.30 and Norma's $5.10.

          You mention an "enclosed Xmas card" for me to acknowledge but no card.  Maybe it'll come in one of the other letters.  Anyway let me know who it was from--just to make sure.  Thanks for Curry's address I didn't have it on my list.

          Today was just another day.  I removed another difficult impaction in but thirty minutes.  I'm really getting good at it.  Put in a few fillings and was through as far as my professional duties go.

          I finally got the carpenter to make up a ping pong table.  I bought the balls, paddles and nets in Honolulu and now we're going to have a contest with an award for the best players.

          The rumors I mentioned still come through unchanged so the hope for a return in a few months remains bright.

          It has just poured all day with short period of clearing off in between.  You've never seen such torrential rain in your life.  I like it though because it does make things cooler.

          The movie tonight is the "Cry of the Werewolf," with I forget who.  I must dash now though or I'll miss the second show.

          Darling, do you remember how I'd dash home from the office, gulp some food down and off we'd go to some early movie or something?  Just let me dash home.  I'd forget the rest of that routine.

          Goodnight Sweet and dream about three or four months from now.

Love,

Gil

 

 
Linda With Her Doll, December 1944

No comments:

Post a Comment