Boxing Tournament


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 26 December 1944, 9:45 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          And now that another day is ended I may again visit with my sweet. I awoke this morning at 7:00 AM and dressed, showered and finished breakfast by 7:45 AM. At 8:30 AM I took my first dental appointment and worked until 10:30 AM.  Then I had a visit with the skipper regarding welfare activities for our crew.  We are going to promote a boxing tournament and maybe develop a team to represent us in an inter-ship contest.  I returned to my room and censored some mail before luncheon.

          After lunch I spent some time bringing my welfare books up to date and just chatted with the captain some more over a cup of java.  Before I knew it the afternoon had fled, so I showered and changed for dinner.  After eating I got the "mike" hooked up and ready for a sing fest.  We sang from 6:45 to 7:45 at which time the movie went on.  We had "Mrs. Parkington" and I enjoyed it very much indeed.  As you've noticed lately we've been very fortunate in our selection of pictures.  I do hope it keeps up.

          There was no mail for me today so there is little more for me to say.  Darling, do you remember the night in Crescent City when we settled down to the serious business of Linda?  After the war we'll continue the rehearsals but actually there will never again be a "first night" (or will there?)

          Sweet the movie has me in a loving mood and my only love so far away!  Darling, how I love you!  Would that I were a poet so that I could record for all time my love for you.  But instead the only words that I can write to tell you how I feel are but three very small ones, "I love you."  Good night dear, I'll dream of you tonight.

Love,

Gil


No comments:

Post a Comment