No Place to Go Except the Officers' Club


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
          U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
             Monday 13 November 1944, 6:20 PM

My Dearest,

          I feel swell now.  I got eleven letters from you and one each from your mother and mine and one from Edith.  I'll send Edith's on to you so you can read firsthand about the wristwatch you want.

          Sure sounds like you've had a siege with household appliances.  Oh well, who cares!  As long as they can be fixed, why worry? I didn't draw my last paycheck and won't draw my next either.  There is no place to go and spend money except for a few drinks at the Officers' Club.

          I did buy four suits of khakis (shirts and trousers) and I believe I'll buy more and lay away my greys.  That way I'll have grey uniforms complete when I return.  Otherwise the pants and shirts would be worn out and the blouses new.  Anyway khakis are all you see out here and some of the higher ups dislike greys and have said as much.

          Glad to hear everyone is prospering.  Just means there'll be more money to spend when I return to civilian life.

          The name of the magazine we sent Sol was "Our Navy."  I can't give you the address of the publisher but Harry B. has it.

          I read an interesting book by James Cain.  It is really three separate books under the title "Three of a Kind."  Two of the stories, one entitled "The Embezzler" and the other "Double Indemnity" were made into movies.  I don't quite recall the name of the third but all three are worth reading.  Now I am reading a Charlie Chan mystery, "Keeper of the Keys."

          Glad that you liked the like the gifts I sent.  I didn't know gum was so difficult.  I'll see what can be done.  Sorry I look fat in the picture.  I am no heavier than when I left the states.  As a matter of fact I think I'm a little lighter.  I'm going to check as soon as I finish this letter.

          Bill Spivak is wrong and if you'll read what I told you about Leon you'll have the real answer.

          Well Honey, I've run out of question and answers so I'm going to sign off.  But first, do you remember how we enjoyed the moonlight in a speed boat up at Arrowhead.  Do you remember what came next? Well I do too. Will repeat at my earliest opportunity.

          Good night Sweet.  I love you and miss you more than I can say.

Lovingly

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment