No Wonder Some Prefer Duty On A Man-O-War


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 22 December 1944, 9:40 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          And so another day.  This damn monotony is sure bad for me.  Come hell or high water, a bunch of us are going ashore tomorrow and get plastered.  It's no wonder that some of the officers prefer duty on a man-o-war where something is popping all the time.  Don't begin to worry dear; this is just a temporary thing with me.  I've had a few days of loafing but soon I'll be swamped under again and the days will pass by much more quickly.

          What did I do today?  Well after breakfast I went down to my office and worked from 8:30 to 11:00.  Read from "Strange Fruit" until noon and chow.  Then loafed some more till two, the time the Glee Club rehearsal was scheduled.  The turnout was so poor that I got mad and called it off.  Aren't I in a swell mood?   Returned to my room and read some more.  Visited on deck with the OD and then showered and changed for dinner.  After chow until movie time, I visited with the doctor and some corpsmen in sick bay.  Tonight we had Lana Turner in "Marriage Is A Private Affair" and it was very good.  See it if you haven't already.

          The mail today brought me nothing but a dental magazine so I have nothing to cheer about there either.

          Darling do you remember how I'd come home from the office mad about something or another and how sweet you'd be to snap me out of it?  Gosh a little of you sweetness in my arms could sure be a swell tonic.  Oh well that can't be yet, but still five months have already gone. Who know what the future may bring? Orders can come through unexpectedly and all we can do is pray.

          I'm going to close now Sweet, there isn't a thing more to say except three little words, "I love you."

Yours as ever

Gil

Card sent to Linda and Norma




No comments:

Post a Comment