Captain Invited Me to Dinner Again


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 12 December 1944

Dearest Eleanor,

          Hello Sweet, how is my love today?  This morning I awoke with my cough practically gone and feeling quite chipper.  Took care of my appointments in short order and then selected a few choice library books for my new bookshelf.  After I read what I've chosen, I'll exchange them for others.  Any way my room looks very homey now with my family, lots of books and pin up girls besides.

          This afternoon we had the first meeting of our Glee Club and it looks like we'll have a nice organization.  It was called for 2:00 P.M. but I had to go around and round up enough men to get started.  But once we began, other began to drift in and when I said, "Let's quit" at 3:30 PM they said "OK" but sang several additional numbers before finally breaking up.  After tomorrow's rehearsal I'm going to spring a song fest on the boys before movies and use our glee club as a lead off group.  Will tell you more about it tomorrow night.

          The captain invited me up to dinner again tonight.  He also had another ship's officer and the Protestant chaplain as guests.  I enjoyed the best steak dinner since I put on a uniform.  The steak was delicious and tender and done just right. I can just see you drooling.

          After dinner I went to the move "Heavenly Body" with Hedy Lamarr and William Powell.  I saw it before. I believe with you.  It was amusing.  

          Well honey, no mail today so I've not much more to write.  Do you remember when all I had to do was dial the phone to talk to you?  And now---darn!  Oh well after the war telephones will be handy as ever.

          Good night darling. I do love you more than I could possibly say on paper so,

Love,

Gil

 

No comments:

Post a Comment