Leper Colony Is Not Close


Saturday 7 October 1944, 11:00 AM

Good Morning Sweet,

          Another busy morning.  Found a couple of patients waiting when I came down to my office.  It was 9:00 o'clock by the time I was through, and I had to dash over to the Welfare and Recreation office to get tickets for a U.S.O. show.  Also attended to some library matters and checked with the Red Cross about getting additional recreational material.  Just got back and I hope I can get this off in today's mail.

          Wish I could hear Norma talk.  Maybe Dave will make a record for you to send on to me.  A few words from you and Linda would also be a real surprise.  The civilians are male shipyard workers.  I met them through our chief pharmacist mate.  We went over early and made lunch for ourselves and dinner for all.  It isn't too bad that I didn't go into the Army.  Two reasons:  First Ray Davis was made available the same time as I and he has been in nine months longer than I have.  Second, I know I'll do dentistry in the navy, but in the Army I might be recruiting, setting behind a desk, drilling men, in fact anything but dentistry and when a dental officer does work in his own line he likes to have good equipment to work with.  Besides dear, all the Army isn't in Europe.  There are plenty in the Pacific area and they'll stay there along with the Navy and the Marine Corps until they are good and ready to send them home.  I have no regrets and please don't worry your little head about what might have been.  The past is behind us and we must look to a happy future together.  That clipping doesn't mean a thing so forget it.

          About my accounts.  Turn everything over to the bureau that you don't get any action on by the end of the month.  Regarding John O. York. Check with the bureau and Al Posner.  If either has the accounts, have them follow through on the information you have or release the account to you.  Then turn it over to the Santa Monica Credit Association.

          Put in a claim with Al Blumberg for lost and damaged personal property.  He'll collect from Bekins faster than you can.

          The leper's colony or any other place is not as close as it would seem. Ten hours is not much time to do any sightseeing at any distance from the ship.  I'll get in the learning mood as soon as we get underway; I won't have so many other things to do.

          Honey, do you remember the summer of 1932 when you rode the trams with me and brought me my dinner? After this war we'll always ride together wherever it may be and enjoy every minute of it.

          Bye my darling, till tomorrow.  I love you and miss you more each day.

Your one and only

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment