Hope You Received the Orchid Cosage


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
          U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
           Thursday 30 November 1944, 9:05 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Hello Darling, how was dinner tonight? I hope you received the orchid corsage I sent you.  I ordered it for the 28th (your birthday) and I do hope it arrived on time.

          Today I had my first breathing spell.  The ship whose crew I worked on left.  Now I just have our ship's company to worry about.  I did receive an official letter today commending me on how I took care of the men.  I'd trade it any day for just one kiss from you.

          I'm still messing with those slides.  I seem to run into one obstacle after another but I'll lick it yet.

          There was no mail today so there is little we can discuss relating to your questions or problems.

          The movie tonight was the worst I've ever seen.  The East Side Kids in "Mr. Mugs Steps Out."  There wasn't one thing good about it.  There was a just fair Mickey Mouse cartoon with it and even the Pete Smith short was poor.  However, it did occupy one and a half hours I didn't know what to do with.

          Darling, do you remember when there weren't enough hours in the day for me to do all I wanted to do?  Now it's just the opposite.  After the war let's revert back.  We'll have so much to do there won't be enough hours in the day or days in the week.  Won't we have fun, you and I?

          Good night darling, I spotted a book of poems and I'm going to borrow it and see if I can find something to express a little of my love for you.  Until then--

Lovingly,

Gil

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment