Typical Sunday


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
          U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 10 December 1944

 

Dearest Sweetheart,

          Am I thrilled!  I got three letters today, two from you and one from Deb containing the color prints of our girls.  Gosh they look sweet.  What wouldn't I give to just hold them in my arms and tussle with them tonight?

          Well this was typical Sunday.  Worked this morning and chased around in the afternoon getting things ready for religious services.  Everything went off smoothly and everybody is happy.  After that I censored some mail, showered and relaxed in my sack with a book.  I gave up "Prodigal Women; " it was getting too involved to read in short snatches. Now I'm halfway through "Impatient Virgin" by Donald Henderson Clarke.

          Now back to my mail.  I didn't get any mail from you dated the 28th or 29th of November.  Today's are dated November 30th and December 1st.  Now, did you get the corsage I ordered for you on your birthday?  Even if you've written once, please answer again.

          We had new officers report aboard today and three more are due in a day or two.  Boy, some of our men in a dither.  The big question is who is going back?  Guess we'll just wait and see.  I know I'm staying because the new men are all ensigns.

          We have Hersheys aboard but they'll never get to you in any condition for eating.  However I'm going to send off some more gum next week.

          So Anne went to join Joe.  They probably won't be together long.  The way green men are being shipped out, it looks as if a places like the Great Lakes will soon be a ghost camps.  Besides, they really need experienced men to handle mail in the forward areas.  Lack of experience and transportation are the two things that materially effect mail delivery.

          I do hope that Norma's indisposition is a thing of the past.  Kids get things fast and get rid of them just as rapidly.

          Those old magazines will be appreciated by all of us no matter how old they are.  I'm putting any magazines I get hold of into circulation via the library.  They don't last long, but they do serve their purpose.

          I'll say I'll hang onto the pictures.  As a matter of fact my room is beginning to look like a picture gallery with my family and pin up girls.

          I have indicated twice now my choice of shore station as Long Beach Naval Hospital and when the time comes I will send a written request for that appointment.  You see the commanding officer sends in a fitness report on each officer grading him as to leadership, morals, ability and many other qualities.  He further makes any remarks concerning the individual in question.  Each officer fills out a part indicating his choice of next shore station and ship.  I chose Long Beach so we'll see.

          By the way that night and morning schedule sounds very good.  We'll see what can be done about carrying it out. Yes'm I agree.

          I'm going to close now and go to the movie "Roger Touhy, Gangster" and then to bed.  Good night Sweetheart till tomorrow.

Love

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment