Ship's Xmas Greeting


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
             U.S.S. Ocelot, FPO San Francisco
              Friday 1 December 1944, 9:30 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Hello darling here I am again.  I am enclosing a copy of the ship's Xmas greeting.  What do you think of it?  I have one all colored up and am keeping in my personal file.  I am also enclosing a couple of samples of other art (?) Hope it gives you a laugh.  I have colored specimens of these in my file as well.

          This has been a back to normal day, just a little work and lots of time for my extra-dental duties.

          The movie tonight was "Princess O'Rourke" and though it was old and I had seen it before it was a very pleasant way to spend an hour and a half.

          No mail again today.  Guess I'll have to get used to doing without for awhile and then just gorge myself with pleasure when I hit the jackpot.

          How about air mailing a box of colored crayolas in pencil form?  The Xmas greetings would be beautiful if they were colored. Who knows what will turn up next under my artistic fingers.

          By the way I ran across a book of poetry by Keats.  Tonight I will have to see what he has to say about love.  I really don't think words can really express it but I'll see if I can find a little something that even approaches my feelings at least in part.

          Dear do you remember when we'd lie in bed and make up words and poems to suit our moods?  After the war in between acts we'll do the same.  OK?

          Good night Sweet.  With loving thoughts of you I'll turn in and maybe I will see you in my dreams.

Love,

Gil



No comments:

Post a Comment