Greeting From Al Klein


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 21 December 1944, 10:35 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          This has been a busy day.  I began by working in my office all morning.  Then twenty-four sacks of mail, all packages, were brought aboard and the normal routine was completely disrupted.  My haul amounted to the Xmas cards, the package of assorted candy and gum from our daughters, two books ("Strange Fruit" and "The Apostle") from Ruth and a box of luscious glazed fruits and nuts from Deb and Dave.  Then I got some more song books from you. Don't send any more.  I have plenty now.  A copy of the Santa Monica Evening Outlook was forwarded from San Diego along with couple of dental magazines.  In the afternoon I got the enclosed Xmas greeting from Alvin Klein.

          In the afternoon we had a session with the Glee Club and by the time I showered and changed it was time for dinner.

          I went to the early show tonight.  We had Wallace Beery and Binnie Barnes in "Barbary Coast Gent." It was quite amusing.  Last night's movie was Bob Crosby in "Singing Sheriff" also an amusing picture.

          After tonight's movie (about 8:15 PM) I returned to my office and have been addressing cards ever since.  No wonder my writing is so poor.  I bet I've got corns on my fingers.  Anyway I got all but twenty-five addressed and ready to go.

          Darling, do you remember how in past years you always checked my Xmas mailing list and supervised the whole job?  After tonight's session you are rehired. Just try and quit.

          I'm dizzy so I'm going to cut this note short.  Good night my Sweet, gosh how I could do with a little loving tonight.  Will see you in my dreams.

Love,

Gil

 

No comments:

Post a Comment