M&Ms AKA "Vitamin Pills"


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 4 January 1945, 9:55 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Hooray!  I finally got some mail, one letter from you postmarked the 24th of December.  In addition I got a B'nai B'rith Bulletin and taffies from my mother.  Please darling, no more candy if you can help it.  The taffies are soft and gooey.  On the other hand the "vitamin pills" that you sent and the glazed fruit and nuts that Deb and Dave sent were swell.

          If I don't make complete sense, please excuse.  I went ashore today and drank umpty cans of beer and now I feel the least bit high.

          Today began as usual with my dental appointments.  I hadn't planned on going ashore but during luncheon a party was formed and I joined in.  We got back in time for dinner and after eating and chewing the fat I went to the movie.  The picture was "Music In Manhattan" with Anne Shirley and was good entertainment.

          Now to your letter.  I'm glad you got the corsage.  Better late than never.  What did you finally get for working at the Marbro?  I'd have told them off right then and there.  After all they would have paid anyone else so why not you?

          I'm not surprised about Dave.  As you know I predicted more or less what happened.  By the way, what happened with Dick?  Maybe I'll get the dope when I get the 20th through 24th mail.

          I can just see the Xmas tree in the window with the lights, gifts and my three sweethearts in front of it.  Gee, I wish I could have been there.  Well, next year for sure.

          Nothing more for now.  Hope I get more mail so I'll have more to write about tomorrow.  Good night my Sweet, I love you

Your husband,

Gil

Going Ashore

No comments:

Post a Comment