Poem Enclosed


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
          U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
            Saturday 2 December 1944, 9:10 PM

My Dearest,

          Another day and no mail.  I'm getting to the point where I don't expect any and then boom! ---the jack pot again (tomorrow I hope).

          Worked all morning and made plans to go on liberty this afternoon. Zowie. Did it rain!  I haven't seen such a pour down since I left New York.  It was accompanied by a beautiful display of electricity.  The thunder and lightening seemed so close that with each flash the clap of thunder seemed to compress the very atmosphere around us.  It didn't last more than thirty minutes and then it cleared off.  Anyway we didn't go ashore.

          The movie this evening wasn't too good but it was entertaining.  We had "Sweethearts of the Fleet" starring Joan Davis, Jinx Falkenberg 

          Now darling, I located the enclosed poem but the author is unknown.  I do hope you like it.  I still must see what Keats has to say about love, if anything.  I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

          I sent off a few of the Xmas greetings we made up.  Those you sent me still haven't arrived but I'm not concerned and please don't you worry about them either.

          I had a patient today who worked for the Edison Company in Santa Monica. He was a patient of Dr. Ivie!  What a small world.  His name is J.M. Bearman and he used to live in the 900 block on 24th Street.

          That's all that is new now.  Good night my Sweet and pleasant dreams.

Love,

Gil




 

No comments:

Post a Comment