Found Cool Spot on the Captain's Bridge


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
          U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
           Thursday  2 November 1944 10:30 PM

My Dearest,

          Just another day of work.  Saw patients all morning till 11:00 AM.  Then I tried too cool off and freshened up for lunch.  After chow I found a shady and cool spot on the captain's bridge and read a little of Thorne Smith's "Let's Face It."  It is a murder mystery and totally different in style and content from his other literary efforts.

          Then it rained so I knocked off reading and chewed the fat with Hansen.  In snatches I have also been reading Balzac's "Droll Stories" and find then rather amusing.  At 1:30 some more patients and by the time I was through I was hot and sweaty so I went back to my room to freshen up and change for dinner.

          After that I played a few games of cribbage and now here I am.  Quite an exciting day, isn't it honey?  And that is the way they all are.

          Do you remember how impatient I always was to get going after dinner?  Well honey when I get back you and I have lots of places to go to and things to do and see.  Remember just you and me. Don't try to ring in any company on me.

          Well Sweet, I'm going to turn in now.  I love you and need you and when I feel lonesome I take out your picture and then I feel better.  Good night my darling.

Lovingly

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment