Yellow Fever, Typhoid and Tetanus Shots


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
             USS Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
              Monday 16 October 1944, 9:30 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Another busy day.  Right after breakfast I borrowed a Navy sedan and drove over to pick up the rest of the recreational gear I had ordered.  When I returned I saw a couple of patients and then attended to some changes in my quarters.

          I got two letters from you this morning and one from Uncle Mike.  This afternoon I got one from Libby. Showered and changed after lunch and went on another shopping spree and spent a little better than $35.  Now I'm through.  I have plenty planned for the next couple of days.  Lots of letters to write and I must get all these gifts packed and sent off.

          When I returned from my shopping, I went over to the Officers' Club for a few beers and took 1 1/2 hours to lose $1.00 in a slot machine.  Some fun!

          Returned to the ship for dinner and then went back to the Officers' Club to see the movie.  There wasn't one aboard tonight.  The picture "Married by Mistake" with Ruth Hussy and Allan Marshal was very amusing.  Do see it if you get a chance.

          It has been raining on and off all day and over last night.  I got wet at the movie (it was in the open) and I'm going to my room and change into something dry.  There was some painting done there today so I'm writing from my office.  I'll finish in the AM.

          Good night, Sweet, I love you.

Adoringly

Gil

Tuesday 9:00 AM

Good Morning Sweetheart,

          How about a big kiss?  Mmm!!  Gee thanks, you didn't have to bite me, did you?  I have your two letters of yesterday before me, so here we go on our daily quiz program.

          You ask about my first visit with Al Klein.  That was when I saw him at his station.  The reason you got confused is on that is because I could not give you any details as to where, when and I how I met him.

          Regarding the course, the Doctor and I are going to work the rest of it together.  That will make it much easier.

          Censoring mail varies.  I'm supposed to have the duty every six days, but with the Xmas rush we are doubling up now so it'll be more often.  This duty was interesting at first but after awhile it gets quite boresome.  However I will say this, some sailors do have a sweetheart in every port and they all (the girls) get the same line of bull.

          Yes, Sweet I have both of my shavers with me and I will be able to use them.  If you get a hold of another one (Willie's or through Dave) send it on "post haste."

          Glad to hear that you are enjoying studying and that the children are working out OK with Betty.  Thanks for those measurements.  I'll get to work on the surprise in a couple of days.

          Even though you are writing often you still have more to tell me than I have to tell you.  I did enjoy the U.S. News clipping.

          Nothing more that is new this AM.  We just finished giving the ship's company their yellow fever shots.  In a couple of days they'll get typhoid and tetanus.  Then back to regular routine.

          That is thirty for now, honey.  I've been at this letter for 1 1/2 hours and I want it to go off this noon.  Bye my own sweet love, till tonight.

Lovingly

Gil

 

No comments:

Post a Comment