At Sea--Cataloguing 1200 Library Books


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
          U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
              Monday 23 October 1944, 8:00 PM

censored

Dearest Eleanor,

          This has been a swell day. The sun was not particularly hot today and as a result it was cool and comfortable all day long.

          I did a little work in my office and concentrated on the library the rest of the time.  I didn't realize what a job cataloguing and indexing over 1,200 books was but I know now.  Here is what we are doing.  First we have two cards for each book, one showing the title first the other author first.  Then we have a third card to show the borrowers name and date the book is due.  I will more or less have to classify all non-fiction books according to the Dewey Decimal System.  It is quite a project but I believe I can do it.  So much for our library.

          I've received many requests today for recreational gear and will break those out in the morning.  My next few days will be busy ones but I like that because it helps the time go faster.

          How are you doing?  By now you've probably learned more about me from Al and Jim than I've been able to tell you so I hope all your questions are answered.

          There is little more I can add except that I miss you more each day and doubt whether I'll ever get enough loving to make up for the time we've lost.  However it'll be fun trying.

          Good night Sweet.  I'm going to turn in early.

Loving you always

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment