Clocks Turned Back


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
          U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
            Thursday 26 October 1944, 9:00 PM

Dearest Wife,

          Was I mad this morning.  It must have been past 1:00 AM before I finally turned in.  During the night the clocks were turned back a half hour.  The mess boys didn't know that so they woke me at 6:30 AM.  Now I'll be short the half hour from 6:30 to 7:00 AM that I usually sleep in.

          I have arranged my hours of work so that I do all routine dentistry in the morning before it gets warm and stuffy.  For the rest of the day I stay topside as much as possible.

          This morning after I finished up my appointments I got another tetanus shot and my arm has been sore ever since.  I've had many shots but this is the first time I got a real reaction.

          The other day, I picked up a magazine you might enjoy.  It is called "The Woman" and is a digest magazine such as "Readers Digest."  There were several articles I enjoyed reading and I know you would also.

          This afternoon with my sore arm and the warm weather, I found me a cool, shady spot on the captain's bridge and read for a while.  In the late afternoon the captain invited our exec and me into his cabin for a cup of coffee.  Then I visited the navigation bridge until dinner which was lousy.

          This evening, the exec, Hansen, Cox and I went to the wardroom and played a few games of "Peek" which I described to you a long time ago.

          Sweet, I do feel punk tonight.  My arm is sore and achy and I'm perspiring to beat the band.  Good night Honey until tomorrow.  I love you as always.

Your one and only

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment