Aboard Ship A Quart of Whiskey Sold for $36.00


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 25 December 1944, 9:30 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          After the movie last night, "Kismet" with Ronald Colman and Marlene Dietrich I went to my room and finished "Strange Fruit."  There were several parties on board but with you so far away I really had nothing to celebrate.  So I went to bed early and awoke without a headache which is more than most of the officers did.

          Just had juice and coffee for breakfast.  This being Xmas I didn't keep any office hours.  By various and devious methods I got two quarts of grain alcohol and spiked the egg nog for dinner.  The drink was so good that no one knew anything was in it until afterwards.  The captain and the exec had one each and still don't know it was spiked.  Further, just before dinner, I called all the corpsmen and a few officers.  I gave each a shot. I bought the stuff in Pearl. Is it valuable!  Right on our ship a quart of whiskey sold for $36.00.  I was tempted to sell the three pints I had. However I preferred using a quart as I did today and save the rest for New Year's Eve.  What is money anyway?  I'm enclosing the menu and it was really good.  All the food was set out buffet style, and we ate all we could hold.

          Spent the afternoon resting, reading and weaving.  I'm going to make identical bracelets for you and our girls.  At least I started something but I won't know until I'm further along.  Anyway, we'll see.

          For supper tonight we just had cold cuts of turkey and ham left over with the necessary trimmings, but who could eat? 

          After eating we had a good, old fashioned song fest.  And when movie time came they just wouldn't stop singing until the captain came down to see the picture.  The movie was a riot.  It was the "Dough Girls" with Ann Sheridan, Alexis Smith and Jane Wynn.  It is one of the most hilarious pictures we've seen and was just the thing to cap Xmas for men away from home. 

          No mail today so I have little more to add.  Dear, do you remember how in past Xmas nights, the whole family came over for a drink, to view of our tree and to see our two darlings.  Next year business as usual for the Steingarts.

          Dr. Bushyager got a recording from home and I can hear him playing it now.  His wife and little girl (five or six) both send him love.  I don't know why you had trouble sending me recordings.  A package with odds and ends can be sent and no one knows the difference.  One thing, pack everything well, you should see how the packages look when they arrive.  Most of them are marked and many have the contents falling out.

          Good night darling, how I would love to hold you in my arms and just kiss you once.  Once?  Well that would be a good place to start, wouldn't it?

Impatiently
Gil
                                                Xmas Dinner Menu
 
 Autographs on Back of Menu
 

No comments:

Post a Comment