Captain Samuels Ordered Back to States. The Exec Hartfield Will Take His Place.


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
          U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
             Monday 13 November 1944, 8:35 AM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Good morning, Sweet, how is my darling this morning?  Saturday night after writing I saw the movie aboard, "The Rhythm of the Island," and although it was amusing I haven't seen any of the dusty beauties in their native costumes running around loose.  Anyway I was amused and after the picture I turned in.  This hot weather really tires one out. By 9:30 or 10:00 PM. I'm really ready to hit the sack.

          Yesterday was Sunday but unless you looked at a calendar it was just like any other day of the week.  Eat and sweat, work and sweat, rest and sweat, and that goes for everyday.  Then around 7:00 PM we had a real cloud burst.  The rain came down in buckets so we stood under the awnings and just watched.  It did seem like there would be no movie, but at 7:45 it stopped raining and the many, many twinkling stairs lit up the heavens once more.  The movie was "Charter Pilot" with Lynn Bari and Lloyd Nolan.  Just another picture is all I can say.

          After the movie I was tired so I read in bed until ten o'clock when all lights must go out at this place.

          Our skipper got his orders to go back to the states and our executive officer will be captain in his place.  The shaver has not arrived as yet so I'm selling the captain the one I have now and will keep the new one when it arrives.

          I awoke this morning and it was raining again and it is still.  But who cares!  As long as it rains, the sun won't shine and that makes everything much cooler and tenable.

          Although we have been here now for several days, no mail has been received.  I guess when it does come I'll get a sack full all for myself (I hope so).  Anyway dear, don't worry if my mail doesn't come regularly.  It's simple--a problem of transportation and distribution.  I'm really well and safe.

          Goodbye for now.  Love and kisses and a great big hug to you my darling and my two sweet girls.

Devotedly

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment