A Roller Coaster Is Safe and Sane Compared to the Bus


Sunday 10 September 1944, 10:00 PM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Just got back from liberty and hoped for a letter from you.  There was none so I'll probably get yesterday's, today's and tomorrow's all at one time. Received a note from Libby asking about Jimmy and I answered immediately.  I recently saw him and we had quite a visit.  That is all I can say except that he looks well and hasn't aged a day.

          I keep on running into people I know wherever I go.  Ran into A. Weinberg and Dr. Jackson again.  Wish I could run into you next, but that really is some wish.

          Well dear, with no questions to answer I hardly know what to tell you.  I recently rode in a bus operated by a native.  The roller coaster is slow, safe, and sane compared with that trip.  Curves and oncoming traffic meant nothing in his life.  The passengers lives meant nothing to him either.  However, we all enjoyed the ride and the scenery which you are going to see with me later.

          Linda must be about ready to start school now or has she already started?  Probably telling Norma all about it if she has.  Gosh, I wish I could see all of you tonight.  Just to play with my girls and put them to bed would be so much fun.  And then--well fun would be putting it mildly.

          One of the officers aboard had a porcelain bridge broken and I've the problem of making a new one without any laboratory facilities.  However I expect to have him fixed up in a couple of days.

          Monday, 11 September, 9:20 AM

          Good morning Sweet.  I thought I'd have plenty of time to write this AM but have been busy till now.  Have a patient in the chair, one waiting and another due at ten so I must hurry because I want this to go in this morning's mail.

          By my darling, will write again this evening.  Until then will all my love.

Your one and only,

Gil

Lt. (j.g.) G. Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot
F.P.O. San Francisco

 

No comments:

Post a Comment