Jeep Ride in Hawaii


Saturday 9 September 1944, 9:20 AM

Dearest Eleanor,

          Good morning Sweet.  My office is being torn up for a change, and I am still in temporary quarters.  I'm writing on my cot so excuse please if any scribbling is worse than usual.

          I'll try to answer your questions as fully as possible.  Greys or tans are worn both at work and when on liberty.  I'm hoping to see those you mention but for reasons I cannot mention I' haven't been able to yet.  Having no work to do this morning I'll try to catch up on my correspondence.  I'm glad you liked what I sent.  That package went through OK but the kid's package got held up.  Will get that off as soon as possible.

          Hansen and I got a jeep yesterday and for three hours we drove around.  Do you remember the ride around Catalina?  Well much of this country is surprisingly similar but I saw some things which we must enjoy together once this mess is over.  And by the way, I still expect to take a refresher course before returning to private practice.

          After our sightseeing tour we stopped at an Officer's Club and who do you think I met?  Abe Weinberg--in person.  So far from home and yet look at all the people that I've run into.  This is really a small world.

          I hear there are some packages at the post office for me but they were closed when I looked in.  Will try again as soon as I'm finished writing.  Received the Binai Brith Bulletin yesterday so you can forget that item.

          Darling, if you get a chance to to San Francisco go ahead.  It is fairly certain that we won't go back to the states for some time.  I'm running out of small talk so I'll have to sign off.

          I love you Sweetheart and miss you and Linda and Norma more and more all the time and writing about it makes me feel all the bluer.  You'll have this letter in a few days and yet weeks and maybe months may pass before I'll have you and the girls with me.

          Bye, darling till tomorrow.

Love,

Gil

Lt. (j.g.) G. Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot
F.P.O. San Francisco


No comments:

Post a Comment