Ocelot Being Outfitted With Communications Equipment for Role as Flagship


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
          U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
           Friday 22 September 1944, 10:00 PM

Hello Sweetheart,

          Just got back from liberty and now for our little visit.  Nothing important this morning until mail call.  Got a letter from you and a home recording from Dave, but I haven't been able to play it back yet.  Hope I can tomorrow.  After lunch the exec and I went on liberty together.  We sat around and drank all afternoon and then went to the beach for dinner.  After dinner we played some miniature golf and got a ride back to the ship with some marine flyers. And here I am.

          I wish I could take you to the dance at the "G's" but--well why say it?  However dear, when this is over there'll be many dances. We always have and we always will go again together.

          Yes dear I am sorry to say the Ocelot "ain't" what she used to be and I won't be home for some time.  What is the $29 storage bill for? You didn't explain.  If you have anything you wish to send me send it on.

          Certainly you are going to Chicago with me.  You didn't think I'd come home just to leave again.  Silly girl! And Grand Canyon is our first stop.

          Last night I wrote to the Aranoffs and the Bergmans. So two more off my list.  And as far as Leon is concerned, he is right, but I wouldn't worry.  Everything will be all right.   

          Nothing more for now Sweet but I'll be with you again in the morning.  Good night and sleep tight.

Saturday 8:15 AM

          Good morning darling.  Just had my juice and coffee and now for a few more minutes together.  Just you and I.  I had hoped for some-thing in the morning mail but no such luck.  I'm sure there'll be some letters this PM.  I hope you slept well, that our girls were good and also slept well.  Gee, even to be awakened at night just to cover Linda or Norma would be fun.

          I have a pretty heavy program scheduled today.  About five patients this morning and a couple this afternoon.  That with some non professional duties should keep me busy today.

          You should be well on your way to being settled by the time you read this note.  Hope you haven't worn yourself all to a frazzle but I know how you are when you begin cleaning and straightening.  Maybe you've learned by now.

          Dear, do you remember the Coconut Grove and Freddie Martin, how we loved dancing to his music?  Well Sweet, after this war it's you and I at the Biltmore, Ambassador, Slapsy Maxie's etc, etc.

          Goodbye for now.  Will be with you tonight and who said I like to sleep alone?

Loving you always

Gil



         

         

No comments:

Post a Comment